We're so excited you want to start a Club!
To launch a Club, you'll first need to complete the following tasks:
- Eligibility: Make sure you're eligible to apply.
- Location: Identify an appropriate public, non-profit location to serve as your Club's host site.
- Your Role: Determine whether you are the Club Facilitator, Decision Maker, or both:
- Facilitators lead Club students through the curriculum.
- Decision Makers are affiliated with the Club host site, and serve as the point of contact between Girls Who Code and the non-profit location.
- If you are not the Decision Maker, you'll need to identify one before applying to start a Club.
- Resources: Identify how you will provide computers and reliable Internet access to all members of the Club. (These could be school or library computers, for example.)
- Timeline: Decide when you plan to run your Club:
- Fall Semester (approximately September - December)
- Spring Semester (January - May)
- The entire Academic Year (September - May)
Once you've figured out these details, you're ready to apply by filling out a Clubs Application!
The application should only take about 15 minutes to complete. After you submit the application, you'll receive instructions about our background check requirements via email.
Once you've completed the application and the background check requirements, you'll hear back about your Club status within a week.
If you recruit additional volunteers to serve as Facilitators, you'll share that Code with them so they can use it to join your Club. Once the Club launches, Facilitators will share the Code with members so they can sign up for HQ as well.
Need more info? Check out our website or attend a webinar, which will walk you through everything you need to know about starting a Club. If you still can't find an answer to your question, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.